CALGARY, November 7, 2018 – Crown Capital Partners Inc. (“Crown” or the “Corporation”) (TSX: CRWN), which provides growth capital to successful mid-market companies, today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2018. Crown’s complete financial statements and management’s discussion and analysis for the three- and nine-month periods ended September 30, 2018 are available on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
Q3 2018 Financial & Operating Highlights
- Total revenue of $7.9 million (2017 – $5.6 million), including interest revenue of $7.2 million (2017 – $4.8 million), fees and other income of $0.2 million (2017 – $0.1 million), and a net gain on investments of $0.5 million (2017 – net gain of $0.6 million).
- A 62% year-over-year increase in net income, net of non-controlling interests, of $1.8 million (2017 – $1.1 million), or $0.19 per common share (basic) (2017 – $0.12).
- Adjusted Funds from Operations1 of $3.1 million, compared with $1.6 million in Q3 2017.
- Total assets of $288.2 million at quarter end, up from $229.1 million at December 31, 2017.
- Total equity per common share (basic) of $10.79 at September 30, 2018 compared with $10.98 at December 31, 2017.
- On August 31, 2018, paid a quarterly dividend of $0.15 per common share.
- Crown Capital Partner Funding, LP (“Crown Partners Fund”) completed a $15 million term loan to Triple Five Intercontinental Group Ltd. and exited Q3 2018 with a record level of contributed capital at $221.8 million compared with $167.4 million as at September 30, 2017.
- Completed a $75 million upsizing of Crown Partners Fund. Concurrently, the investment period was extended to the end of 2019 and the maximum size of the fund was increased to $500 million, from $300 million previously.
- Transition restricted share units issued in connection with the initial public offering of the Corporation in July 2015 vested on July 9, 2018, contributing to a 1.7% increase in common shares outstanding as at September 30, 2018 compared with June 30, 2018 and, in turn, to a (2.2)% decrease in book value per share over the same period.
“Crown has had a highly active and productive year to date, deploying $105 million in six transactions, which lifted our fee-generating assets to [our highest levels ever] at quarter end and drove a 49% year-over-year increase in interest revenue,” said Chris Johnson, President and CEO of Crown. “In addition to the $75 million upsizing of Crown Partners Fund, we made important changes that provide additional flexibility to expand this fund up to $500 million and capitalize on demand from mid-market companies for our customized financing solutions.”
Mr. Johnson added: “Our core focus at Crown is creating strong risk-adjusted recurring cash flows through private credit and structured equity capital pools. With Crown Capital Power Limited Partnership, which we launched in the second quarter, we have a tremendous opportunity to build a portfolio of long-term contracts with profitable, well-established businesses that will deliver attractive utility-like income. In the third quarter, we made significant progress with the growth initiatives for this fund, including important steps towards developing the capital structures and third-party investor base to participate alongside our initial principal investment.”
Conference Call & Webcast
Crown will host a conference call to discuss its Q3 2018 financial results at 8:30 a.m. EDT on November 7, 2018. The call will be hosted by Chris Johnson, President & CEO, and Michael Overvelde, CFO. To participate in the call, dial (416) 764-8688 or (888) 390-0546 using the conference ID 88328702. The audio webcast can be accessed at www.crowncapital.ca under Investor Relations or https://bit.ly/2yqe7ql. Listeners should access the webcast or call 10-15 minutes before the start time to ensure they are connected.
About Crown Capital Partners (TSX:CRWN)
Founded in 2000, Crown is a leading specialty finance company that provides growth capital to a diversified group of successful mid-market companies that are seeking alternatives to banks and private equity funds. Crown provides customized solutions in the form of loans, royalties, and other structures with minimal or no ownership dilution. In addition to deploying capital as a principal investor, Crown develops, manages and co-invests in alternative investment funds, including Crown Partners Fund and Crown Power Fund.
This news release contains certain “forward looking statements” and certain “forward looking information” as defined under applicable Canadian and U.S. securities laws. Forward-looking statements can generally be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “intend”, “estimate”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “continue”, “plans” or similar terminology. Forward-looking statements in this news release include, but are not limited to, statements, management’s beliefs, expectations or intentions regarding the alternative financial market and the general economy, transaction pipeline, Crown’s business plans and strategy, including anticipated capital deployments and the timing thereof, and Crown’s future cash flow and shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are based on forecasts of future results, estimates of amounts not yet determinable and assumptions that while believed by management to be reasonable, are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies. Forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties concerning the specific factors identified in the Crown’s periodic filings with Canadian securities regulators. See Crown’s most recent annual information form for a detailed discussion of the risk factors affecting Crown. In addition, Crown’s dividend policy will be reviewed from time to time in the context of the Corporation’s earnings, financial requirements for its operations, and other relevant factors and the declaration of a dividend will always be at the discretion of the board of directors of the Corporation. Crown undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking information except as required by applicable law. Such forward-looking information represents management’s best judgment based on information currently available. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed and actual future results may vary materially. Accordingly, readers are advised not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements or information.